Sunday, April 19, 2009

Spring


"The real voyage of discovery exists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes."
--Marcel Proust

I'm quite pleased to admit that I've grown to appreciate the sanctity of springtime. It's always been beautiful and refreshing, but not until my late 20s did I grasp its unparalleled ability to waken an entire group consciousness into action where even the catchiest of ad campaigns might fail. That's not to say that I didn't enjoy the inexhaustibly sun-filled days of St. Petersburg, FL when I lived there for a couple of years--the sky was vastly blue, the rainfall was fleeting...even the bums were more cheerful than I'd noticed up North. But I never ceased yearning for that victorious feeling when the Ohio snowfall ceases and the windows are agape for the first time--the yellows turn to greens again, the flowers with warranted apprehension reveal themselves to the world, coaxing people out of hiding. We feel alive and empowered to clean up all of our baggage from the year before and anything that peacefully compels one to quell their procrastination is a force to venerate.

No comments:

Post a Comment